Bury Lane Farm Shop and Fun Barn have long been favourite destinations of ours – soft play for the kids that is well maintained, spacious and super fun plus delicious food to buy and eat for the grown ups!
The latest addition to their offer for families is The Beach, unlike any other local family attraction! The Beach has sand, of course – don’t forget to bring your own buckets and spades – but there is so much more too…
The highlight for my two children was definitely the climbing wall. Situated in the middle of the soft play sand, it has different levels of challenge for children young and old and my two just kept going back!
Another highlight was the bungee trampolines. Your entry price gets you three tokens to spend per child (extra ones are £2 each or 3 for £5). At the time of writing this included the bungee trampoline, electric cars or motorised diggers in the sand. The majority of ours were spent on the trampolines – suitable for little children up to adults!
If that’s a bit too high adrenaline for you, then there’s plenty of play equipment from a pirate ship, to swings and mini trampolines that are sunk into the ground. There are also giant games including Giant Jenga, Connect4 and Snakes and Ladders.
There’s also a couple of freestanding diggers in the sand as well as a large covered area of sand to dig in for hot days. The sand area is surrounded by soft Astro turf that also remains cool in the heat. And if the heat does get too much, you can opt for entry that includes the Fun Barn (air conditioned in the summer) for no extra charge.
After all that fun we were hungry! There are ice creams and drinks available at the outside snack bar and a selection of hot and cold food inside the Fun Barn too. Personally, we love the cafe in the main shop, so we escaped for an hour to browse the tasty goodies on sale and have a delicious lunch too!
We returned to The Beach after lunch – you are free to do that once wearing your wristbands – for an ice cream and a little more play.
We eventually prised the girls away (via a quick slide in the Fun Barn) after a good four hours.
“Can we go again tomorrow?”
A successful trip then!
- Just like you would at a real beach, bring along your buckets, spades and a ball – these aren’t provided. There are for sale but you’ll kick yourself if you’ve already got them at home!
- There are some shaded areas to play in the sand but a lot of it is not undercover so make sure you bring sun tan lotion on a hot day!
- There are lots of spaces to eat but you can only eat food purchased on site. However, when wearing your wristband you can leave and come back if you need to (though the cafe really is very tasty!)
- The Beach is at Bury Lane Farm Shop, A10 Bypass, Melbourn, Royston, Herts SG8 6DF
- Website: The Beach at Bury Lane Fun Barn
- Phone: 01763 260418
- Opening hours: Mon – Sat 9am to 6pm, Sun – 10:30am to 4:30pm
Go Karts and Bungee available at weekends only from Saturday 18th May to Sunday 30th June 2019 inclusive and from Monday 2nd September to season close.
All play equipment available 7 days a week from Monday 1st July to Sunday 1st September 2019 inclusive.
Large free car park. Check website for prices.
All information correct at the time of writing in May 2019. Please check with venue before travelling.